Blog Image

Haddington Twinning Association Bulletin Board

Lavender Garden at Lady Kitty’s this morning – 10th July 2021

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, July 10, 2021 13:05:40

Photographs – Irene Higgenbotham.



In 2015 – Haddington Twinning celebrated 50 years of Twinning in Haddington, and celebrated with 2 visits this year, in Aubigny and Haddington. Here are some of memorable photos of this occasion.

Uncategorised Posted on Sun, July 04, 2021 13:10:18
Aubigny in hottest day of our stay….
Hankerchiefs by Irene Higgenbotham
Haddington Pipe Band.
Presentation of Keys
Bookmarks to mark the occasion.
Girl drummers – Haddington Pipe Band.
Scottish Saltire Aubigny.
Haddington Pipe Band Banner
Feeling the heat
Madame L. Renier.
Irene & Marie Therese

Photos by Irene Higgenbotham & Christian Couture. 2015

Embroidery & Calligraphy – Irene Higgenbotham



Memories of Comice Agricole – Aubigny – 2008 [Agricultural Show ]

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, June 12, 2021 12:56:00

Photographs from Haddington Twinning Archives.



Old Memorable Moments of Haddington Twinning.

Uncategorised Posted on Sun, June 06, 2021 11:47:53
1984 – Renewing the F. Charter at outing to Preston Mill – East Linton.
La Verrerie – 1987 ?
Gillis Family and Dey Family from Haddington.
French visit to Haddington 2008
Aubigny 1987 -91
Scottish Country Dancers from Haddington 1987 -91
Band of Tank Regiment – Aubigny [ FFE ] 1987
Haddington Festival Parade 1992
Haddington Festival Parade 1992
French visit to Haddington 2011
Council representatives in FFE parade Aubigny
One of many cakes baked for the occasion.
Celebrations for 50th Anniversary ….
Place d’Aubigny 50th Anniversary ….. with Presidents past and present.
At Place d’Aubigny for unveiling of place name.


Hope you enjoyed looking back !

Irene H.- 6th June 2021


Bass Rock – Firth of Forth.

Uncategorised Posted on Sun, May 23, 2021 12:12:32

The Bass Rock is an island just off the coast of North Berwick, if you look closer at this Rock its actually smothered with bird droppings. Described by Sir David Attenborough as ” one of the 12 wildlife wonders of the world ” , the Bass is a santuary for gannets, hosting over 150,000 of them during peak breeding season.

Gannets and their chick on precarious cliff edge.

Sporting treacherous jagged edges, and dangerous cliffs, ancient chapel ruins, a lighthouse, and a Castle turned prison.

It is said that the very first of all human inhabitants was St. Baldred in 600 A.D. , an evangelist, monastery founder, and hermit. Today, only the ruins of St. Baldred’s Chapel remain upon the spot he used to frequent. The Chapel was bestowed upon the Lauder family by the Church in 1316.

Ruins of St. Baldred’s Chapel.

Currently uninhabited by humans, the Bass Rock was passed on to the family of Sir Hugh Hamilton- Dalrymple in 1706, after being in the Lauder family for over six centuries. Legend states that the island was a present from King Malcolm 111 of Scotland. Over the years, the Lauders received a string of royal visitors such as King James 1V in 1497 and King James V1 of Scotland in 1581

Tantallon Castle with Bass Rock

In 1671, The Bass Rock was commandeered from the Lauder family and transformed into Scotland’s own Alcatraz following Cromwell’s invasion of Scotland . Subsquently, this castle-turned-prison became riddled with religious and political prisoners. It was also with large numbers of Coventanters. From 1672 to 1688, approximately 40 people died in the depths of the dungeons. Additionally, 1688-92 saw a handful of prisoners contained during the 1st Jacobite Rising, French Napoleonic prisoners were also known to have been prisoner here in later years.

The Seabird Centre in North Berwick hold exclusive landing trips from Easter to Autumn, weather dependant, ferrying tourists in local fishing boats and accompanied by an expert guide, this is a fascinating destination for photographers, historian and wildlife enthusiasts.

Red Arrows over the Firth of Forth.

Irene Higgenbotham 23rd May 2021.



25th August 2018 – Haddington 700 Celebrations Medieval Day.

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, May 08, 2021 14:02:42

A charter granted by Robert the Bruce to the Scottish town of Haddington in 1318 is the inspiration behind the year of Celebrations planned for 2018, the 700th Anniversary of the granting of the royal charter.

The 1318 Charter is the oldest document cared for by East Lothian Archives and at the time it was granted, the town already had been a Burgh for 200 years. . An older Charter granted by King David 1 had been lost , and so the Bruce Charter reconfirmed Haddington’s right to hold a market and collect customs.

The Royal Charter.

Haddington Twinning celebrated this occasion by planting of the ” Auld Alliance Irises” sent especially from Aubigny – Haddington’s twin town, and a special visitors from Aubigny & the French Console were present at the planting.

Haddington Twinning – Provost – Mayor of Aubigny – Blooming Haddington – French Console & Special guests.
The “Planting ”
Provost MacMillan & Madame Laurence Renier Mayoress of Aubigny.
Auld Alliance Irises being shown by Blooming Haddington.
Mayoress Laurence Renier accompanied by Haddington Twinning Secretary Mrs Elaine Mitchell
French Console doing a bit of planting.
A few weil kent faces !
Auld Alliance Iris.
Medieval Parade
dressed for the Occasion.
Or just relaxing ?
Winner of Pentanque Competition presentation by Monsieur Jean-Charles from Aubigny.

Later the Irises bloomed in Lady Kitty’s Garden and corner of Market Street / Hardgate.

Photographs by Irene Higgenbotham



Haddington Twinning proudly presents Peeps into the Past Ceilidhs 2015 – 2019 –

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, April 24, 2021 13:41:13

In no particular order.

Clappy – do


Haddington Twinning welcomes our friends from Aubigny – April 2017

Uncategorised Posted on Mon, April 12, 2021 12:03:49
With special welcome from Haddington Pipe Band.
With Wine & Nibbles.
A visit to Traquair House for some of visitors.
The Higgenbothams & Coutures with Traquair House in background.
Doll Collection in Traquair House.
Brewery at Traquair House.
Dolls House with Madame Couture.
The fifth Earl of Traquair closed these gates in 1738 and vowed never to open them again until a Stuart King reclaimed the Throne.
Lunch at Traquair
Peacocks & Hens looking for their Lunch .
Farewell Ceilidh in Corn Exchange……..

Photos – Irene Higgenbotham.



« PreviousNext »