Blog Image

Haddington Twinning Association Bulletin Board

COURT STREET – Haddington….

Uncategorised Posted on Mon, October 11, 2021 12:24:17

Ask in Haddington today where, in the town, one of the Kings of Scotland was born and you may get a lot of blanck faces. But once Court Street was King Street and it was here.

Photo taken 10th October 2021

County Buildings.

In 1833 when the foundations of the present County Building were dug, the remains of the Palace of Haddington were discovered. It was here that, King William II [ William the Lion ] would spend some time and it was here that, on 24th August 1198, his son Alexander was born. Alexander was the only son of William & Ermengarde of Beaumont. He spent some time in England and was knighted by John of England at Clerkenwell Priory in 1213. Alexander succeeded to the kingdom on the death of his father on 4th December 1214.

County Buildings in Haddington today.

Designed by William Burn, one of Scotland’s most eminent architects, Haddington County Buildings was built as County Buildings with a Burgh Court house that dates to the year of the 1833 Police Burgh Act of Scotland. The 1833 building has fine stone detailing and is an early use of the Tudor Gothic Style in public buildings The 1932 additions by WJ. Walker Todd, an equally well recognised architect, are well detailed in a complimentary historicist style.

Corn Exchange & County Buildings.

Haddington County Buildings has two significant phases of construction : 1833 to the East and a later extension in 1932 to the West and South linking the building to an earlier 19th Century villa to the West corner. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1853 shows the footprint and internal plan of the 1833 court house, marked as the County Buildings. The three height sections returning from the South West corner of the building are evident in this plan. The map also shows the County Buildings within a large walled enclosure which also contains the town jail to the rear.

Court Street – Haddington.

There wasca later internal refurbishment to the Southwest wing in 1956, at some point in the later 20th and earlier 19th Century former villa has been linked internally to the 1932 section.

The Gothis style of this building was a departure in design and unusual for Court Houses of this period, as they were predominantly built in an austere classical design.

The Birthplace of Alexander II of Scotland, which is noted on a plaque to the front of building.

Memorial of Marquis of Tweedale – Haddington.

A view of the Memorial to George Hay, VIII Marquis of Tweeddale [ 1787- 1876 ] which stands on Court Street, Haddington. It was erected in 1880 to commemorate the man who had been a distinguished soldier and Lord-Lieutenant of Haddingtonshire.

On the North side of Court Street is a collection of very fine buliding housing banks, and here too, is Haddington’s Post Office, which can be traced back to 1603 and one of the very first Post Offices in Scotland, servicing mail between the newly unified capitals of Edinburgh & London.

Haddington Post Office.
Bank of Scotland – Haddington.

To end, a photograph of visitors from Aubigny being ably lead on a Tour by , then, President Mr. Frank Elliott.

Outside Corn Exchange – Haddington.

Irene Higgenbotham 11th October 2021.



Haddington Twinning Celebrates 30 years of Twinning in 1995.

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, October 02, 2021 12:59:28

Some weil kent faces here in 1995, for 30 years of Twinning with Aubigny. Technology not so far advanced then – No Zoom only landline to Aubigny.



A Lothian Players Presentation by Douglas Currie. Haddington Festival June 4,5,6. 1987

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, September 18, 2021 12:08:50
Douglas Currie……

The Author of this play was born in Haddington. From the age of seven he has been “entertaining” . From early days singing to boy scouts and to singing on top of a bofors gun on a troop ship to India he has covered a lot of ground. During the war in the East he joined E.N.S.A. playing in troop concerts in India, Egypt, South Africa, Assam and in England.

After the war he became a professional actor with Repertory companies in England and in Scotland. He joined now reowned company of Glasgow Unity Theatre with Roddy McMillan, Russell Hunter and Marjorie Thomson. Douglas played an Indian pedlar in the Gorbals Story for over 600 performances. This play took him to London’s West End Garrick Theatre, London.

Tonight’s play is his third foray into the realm of playwriting. ” Light of my Life” his first play was based on the life of Jane Welsh and Thomas Carlyle. ” The Wit to Woo”, a comedy, won a drama award in Scotland. Douglas is now retired and lives in Haddington with his wife, two dogs and a cat. He is still entertaining and writing and playing for the Lothian players.

Excerpt from France to Fotheringay programme June 1987.

Both Douglas and his wife are now deceased.

Irene Higgenbotham 18th September 2021



MEMORIES – Yesteryear in and around Haddington.

Uncategorised Posted on Fri, August 20, 2021 15:40:36
Market Cross – High Street- Haddington.
High Street – looking West – Haddington.
County Cinema [ now demolished ] Hardgate – Haddington.
Brown Street – leading onto High Street from Market Street – Haddington.
Amisfield Stables – Haddington.
Bothwell Castle – Hardgate – [ now demolished ]
Nungate Bridge – Haddington.
Bus trip from Hope Park – Haddington. [ I am little girl with white shoes -1950 ]
Court Street – Haddington.
Haddington Fire Brigade – date unknown.
High Street – Haddington.
High Street – Haddington [ looking East ]
Knox Institute School – [ now into flats ]
Market Street – Haddington.
Market Street – Haddington.
St. Mary’s Kirk before restoration
Street party to celebrate Charles & Diana’s wedding 1981 { i’m standing back row – middle ]
Workmen cleaning out River Tyne 1898


Visit to Rosslyn Chapel with Marine Baron….. student from Aubigny.

Uncategorised Posted on Sun, August 01, 2021 11:44:09
Marine Baron.
Rosslyn Chapel – was founded in 1446 by Sir William St. Clair. The beauty of its setting, in rural Midlothian, and the mysterious symbolism of its ornate stonework have inspired, attracted and intrigued writers, artists and visitors ever since.
The Green Man
The Apprentice Pillar ,as its known today , is probably the most famous and unique feature at Rosslynn Chapel. It is a column of stone , ornately decorated with vines, and at the bottom are eight dragons encircled around the base.
Marine outside Rosslynn Chapel

1st August 2021.



Memorable Moments from 14th July – Fetes Franco Ecossaises – Aubigny-sur-Nere – 1987-2019

Uncategorised Posted on Wed, July 14, 2021 09:20:26


Lavender Garden at Lady Kitty’s this morning – 10th July 2021

Uncategorised Posted on Sat, July 10, 2021 13:05:40

Photographs – Irene Higgenbotham.



In 2015 – Haddington Twinning celebrated 50 years of Twinning in Haddington, and celebrated with 2 visits this year, in Aubigny and Haddington. Here are some of memorable photos of this occasion.

Uncategorised Posted on Sun, July 04, 2021 13:10:18
Aubigny in hottest day of our stay….
Hankerchiefs by Irene Higgenbotham
Haddington Pipe Band.
Presentation of Keys
Bookmarks to mark the occasion.
Girl drummers – Haddington Pipe Band.
Scottish Saltire Aubigny.
Haddington Pipe Band Banner
Feeling the heat
Madame L. Renier.
Irene & Marie Therese

Photos by Irene Higgenbotham & Christian Couture. 2015

Embroidery & Calligraphy – Irene Higgenbotham



Next »